16.11.12

'Allo.

I have a soft spot for Black Cockatoos. They have these chilling prehistoric cries, and such a graceful air about them as they fly; I just can't help but stop and look up in awe of them whenever they're overhead on my afternoon walks.

Leila Jeffreys has taken some incredibly beautiful portraits of cockatoos. And they are portraits- there is so much expression (pride? cheekiness?) in their faces. I love when photography makes you look at something you've seen so many times with a new sense of wonder.. even the humble Sulphur-Crested Cocky, which is usually only seen as the annoying rubbish scavenger of the 'burbs!

Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
x

 Nora, Red-Tailed Black Cockatoo
 Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo

Kirra, Carnaby's Black Cockatoo
 
Vincent, Budgerigar
 
Commander Skyring, Gang-Gang Cockatoo

Matilda, Major Mitchell’s Cockatoo


Seisa, Palm Cockatoo

No comments: