13.3.14

There's something about the bold colours, patterns and vertical script found on Chinese food packaging that I really love. My friend Sarah and I joke that going to the Asian food market (with it's unlikely name "Wan Long") is like taking a quick trip to Cambodia, Indonesia or Vietnam- purely for the visual feast of seeing all the wonderful food packages which always transport us to the sights and smells of past travels. I often come home from those trips with ten things that I don't really need (or have no clue what they are for) but that just look so happy and bright I can't resist.

One of my favourite things to pick up on those trips is the quintessential small (and cheap) bowl found in virtually every Chinese restaurant in Australia. I'm particularly fond of the turquoise ones and have started a bit of a collection.

This digital illustration is based on a watercolour I did, inspired by those bowls. I'll be making it into a print very soon.

No comments: