23.1.13

Made with hands.

On a sleepy Friday that reached over 40 degrees, when the air was thick with heat, we gathered at Chrisy's lovely house in Coledale for some making and crafting time (in front of a blasting fan), as we chatted and slurped down frozen banana smoothies (a new discovery for me- they are incredible).

(pic by the lovely Sarah)

 (fruits of my labour..a necklace made from Fimo)

There is something so nourishing about spending time simply making things with your hands, especially in the company of new and old friends.

It's probably a massive generalisation, but I feel like the simple act of making things in community is something that we are lacking in the wider culture, which is a massive shame because there is so much joy and connectedness to be found in it. At a festival recently I joined a basket-weaving workshop and, although I was with total strangers (and my basket was more like a thimble!) I can honestly say it was one of the most relaxing, engaging things I've done in a while. As was the lovely afternoon at Chrisy's. So, one of the things I'd like to make more time for this year is just that: being with friends, shaping and making and experimenting with my hands and different materials, bouncing ideas off each other and simply enjoying the slowing down of the busy-ness of life.

2 comments:

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

You've brought back a memory for me. A few years ago, when I lived in a more rural setting, I attended a Thursday evening knitting group in the village public library. It was a special experience and I'd like to return to something similar.

Anonymous said...

What a great blog! I really love the pictures...
It is good to be creative.
If you are looking for inspiration, have a look our sustainable designers at http://moorbi.tumblr.com/