10.6.10

pondicherry.

Life of Pi is one of those books that I always go back to whenever I'm in need of some clarity (which is often). It's such a magical, innocent but brave world inside Pi's head that I love to go there for some heartening escapism. If you haven't read it, please do :)



image from the wonderful artist anna emilia

"There were many seas. The sea roared like a tiger. The sea whispered in your ear like a friend telling you secrets. The sea clinked like small change in a pocket. The sea thundered like avalanches. The sea hissed like sandpaper working on wood. The sea sounded like someone vomiting. The sea was dead silent."

------------------------------

"Love is hard to believe, ask any lover. Life is hard to believe, ask any scientist. God is hard to believe, ask any believer. What is your problem with hard to believe?"

------------------------------

"Despair was a heavy blackness that let no light in or out. It was a hell beyond expression. I thank God it always passed. A school of fish appeared around the net or a knot cried out to be reknotted. Or I thought of my family, of how they were spared this terrible agony. The blackness would stir and eventually go away, and God would remain, a shining point of light in my heart. I would go on loving."

------------------------------

""Bapu Gandhi said, 'All religions are true.' I just want to love God," I blurted out, and looked down, red in the face."

{all quotes from The Life of Pi by Yann Martel.} Brilliant.

3 comments:

Ellie said...

I love life of pi too. Another one of those books for me is Tuesdays with Morrie. Changed my life!

themuccibird said...

Ah yes, Tuesdays with Morrie..what a book. I read it when I was about 16 and it really effected me. Might have to give it a re-read though! Any other life-changing books you can recommend??

Thanks for your comment :)

Ellie said...

Have you read Mitch Albom's other book, The Five People You Meet in Heaven? Also amazing. Sometimes I just read a really great book like My Brilliant Career or something by Joanne Harris and it won't change my life but it might make think a bit differently about things.